- 4-6 Chicken drumsticks (or about 500g of thighs)
- About 200ml of coconut milk (One of the small-ish cans)
- 100g of Mango chutney (about 1/3 of a typical jar)
- 1 diced onion (White or brown will be best)
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Juice of 1 lime (I've substituted lemon before for a similar result)
- 1 whole chilli, finely sliced or diced (I usually use the large red ones, but you can use whatever you feel like)
- Dark/red rum (Something like Bundaberg - just one or two dashes)
- Some paprika (I use the smoked kind)
- Cooking oil for frying
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with paprika and fry at a medium temperature with a splash of oil in a heavy-based frying pan until nicely browned on the outside (5 minutes)
- Add the onion to the pan to soften and brown
- While this is cooking, mix together in another bowl: Most of the coconut milk (Save some to adjust seasoning later); 1 or 2 dashes of rum; The mango chutney; The sliced chilli and the lime juice.
- Add the crushed garlic to the frying onions and chicken pieces and let it soften. Be careful not to brown the garlic, as it'll taste bitter and weird.
- Now add the mixed liquid ingredients and stir-through. When it comes to the boil, reduce the temperature to low, cover and let it simmer for half an hour or until the chicken is cooked to your liking (15 - 20 minutes for boneless thighs).
- Finally taste and adjust seasoning (add any coconut milk, chutney or rum that it might need).
Serve with rice and steamed green beans for a really tasty meal. (I did it with roti canai and a side-salad this time).